I'm doing good. I'm writing a health training for our neighborhood health committees on malaria, tb,hiv,integrated reproductive health, water and sanitation, and child health and nutrition. I am busy and really am looking forward to doing this. I feel like such an international public health professional on the ground ;) Good stuff. I also helped at a VCT (voluntary couseling and testing) day for hiv in my catchment and did not sanitation presentations too, all seemed weel received and needed.
So other things are well. We got a cat, Scout. She scouts for mice and conquers them ;) Too bad sometimes she is so proud of herself she brings them in the house to show her prowess in killing ;) Ah well.
I'm in the provincial capital right now. I'm working on curriculum stuff and eating some meat, cheese, and ice cream, oh ya ;) On the way here we drove by a some lake or a big pond, who knows. But I was mesmerized. Being in a land locked country is hard sometimes. I really love the water. I felt like my uncle Mike who lives in Arizona and almost cries everytime he sees big water ;) It's ok though we have a meeting in July and afterwards Rob and I hope to go with some volunteers to Victoria Falls in the south, so big water viewing here I come ;)
While at the peace corps house here I chatted with a volunteer who has her sister visiting here. Really I'm happy and very busy most the time, so homesickness isn't too bad. Plus I have Rob so I'm way luckier than most volunteers. But still being around two sisters made me sad for a bit. Man it's nice to see someone who looks like you and knows you so well you can talk or not and just be at home ;) Miss ya Stacy! Yesterday my Mom called and I seriously didn't know what to talk about but just wanted her to stay on the phone so I could hear her voice, yup, I'm 27 but sometimes I just miss my Mamsie ;)
So when we came here we didn't bring an ipod like everyone else. So if someone wants to send a cd walkman, AAA bateries, or cds feel free. It's fine mostly I read for fun but sometimes music would be nice. My mom was cute enough to send 2 musical cards so far and I kid you not we rock out to them from time to time ;) You know you use what you got ;)
So a highlight latlely in the village was the creation of mac n cheese ;) My sis sent velveta cheese and Rob melted it on pasta, AWESOME! I mean kind sad since in the states I would be repulsed by this fake cheese, but here it's a culinary delight ;)
Rob and I taught a life skills class in a local school. It went well. We tried to show that people from the states marry later and have children later, maybe role model a little and teach them a bit about hiv and women's empowerment stuff. They loved us, probably more for the novelty of us then the presentations them selves, but whatever works. Anyways now girls pass my around the village and say they want to be my 'benzy' aka friend, super cute ;)
I'm been trying to write letters to people, so far I've hit those that have wrote me. So please write me and send me your snail mail addy so I can write ya. Miss you all very much and hope everything is very good.
Wednesday, July 4, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
laura,
I just got this blog that Leon got yesterday. Sounds like you are doing well.
Lone you always and forever,
Mom
Lala,
I miss you tooooooo. Wow and you have a cat. Too Funny cause i know you just love cats. lol.
Love you all the much.
Stacy & Bunky (paw prints to Scout) & the rest of the crew.
Hey Chica!!! I finally dug up your blog address I've been thinking about you and didn't have the link. But I found it!!! I miss you lots! I can't wait to read through all your blogs I feel so outta the loop. Guess what! I'm engaged!! My boyfriend just proposed to me last night! ACK!!! Anyway, I miss you tons and love you lots!! -Christy a.k.a. pun queen (tho a lil' outta practice!)
Hey benzy, Glad you got a cat. What hapened to the puppy? Big water sounds great. Say hi to Rob, keep up the good work...Love...Uncle Mike
Post a Comment